At Twyford St. Mary’s, every child has the opportunity to develop their leadership skills and take responsibility for an aspect of school life. Pupil voice is an important part of our setting.
Some of our special Pupil Voice roles in School Include:
- The School Council: Two pupils from each class are chosen by a vote amongst the children in their class. There are three opportunities in the academic year for pupils to sit on our school council and help wit key projects going on at TSM.
- The Team Captains and Vice Captains: Following a full week of campaigning, eight Year 6 pupils (two from each of the four house teams) are elected in September to act as Team Captains and Vice Captains for the academic year. All Year 6 pupils are encouraged to stand. They create posters – which are displayed in the top playground – and give a short speech to their house explaining why they would like the role before our democratic election takes place. The whole school vote in their house teams in September of each year to choose their Team Captains and Vice Captains.
- The Spiritual Ambassadors: These are the three Year 6 pupils who help to lead the spiritual development of the school and services. These pupils are specially chosen by the Head Teacher in September and play a central role in the Harvest Festival, Easter Service and Christmas services.
- Monitor jobs: All pupils are eligible to apply for a range of jobs (depending on their year group) and these are changed termly, three times a year. Roles can range from dining hall support, assembly set up, or even environment development. Applications are made at the start of a new term to Mrs Keating and the school council.
- The Peer Mentors: These are Key Stage 2 pupils who are trained to mentor younger pupils in learning and play.
- The Green Team: These are Key Stage 2 pupils who encourage our school to be as eco-conscious as possible. They lead on assemblies, the Green fair, Green sweeps of the school and raise funds for special eco projects.
- The Club Leaders: These are Key Stage 2 pupils who wish to lead a lunchtime activity for others to join, and applications should be made to Mrs Keating at the start of the summer term.